Sunday 5 June 2011

Guten Tag Zurich


As we were landing at the Zurich airport I began to run through all the German words I learned from Kelly.  I was surprised how many I remembered. We got through the airport with no trouble, Maryann and I with 100 + pounds of textbooks and were at the "apart hotel" in no time. After a quick breakfast we headed back to the airport to catch the train into the city. In our travels we had picked up a city guide and decided to do the sightseeing city walk.  I was assigned the mission as navigator since it had been my bright idea and we hit the first spot shortly after we started walking. We hit Bahnhofstrasse, the "most beautiful boulevard in town," Schipfe, which was along the Limmat River, Lindenhoff, to St. Peter-Kirche, which holds Europe's largest clock face.
We then walked up through this small shopping area in a maze of small streets and back alleys. Beautiful shop fronts, and cafe's with tables and cushioned seats out on the street.  The city walk lead us to Paradeplatz.  Here we stopped at the famous Swiss pastry shop, Sprungli, to get some cafe sitting time.  I walked into the shop while we were waiting and you would not believe the creativity of the pastries they had for sale.
 After our break we walked down to the Burkliplatz where we had a great view of the lake, Zurichsee. Continuing on our walk we spotted a Benedictine Abbey, Fraumunster, and a beautiful romanesque church, Grossmunster, which had wonderful painted windows. Jim, Maryann, and I then started our hunt for a great Swiss restaurant with classic Swiss/German food. After passing up a Mickie D's and a Starbucks we past by this row of bikes. I think it is awesome that some places in the world motorcycles, scooters, and bicycles can all get along.
 We finally found this place and had a spectacular meal outside Paradeplatz, enjoying the weather and each others company.
What a great day in Zurich, Switzerland! --- Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment